FWN Internship/Volunteer Opportunities
The Filipina Women's Network (FWN) is supports the development of future leaders by accepting interns. FWN is a San Francisco based non-profit professional association for women of Philippine ancestry committed to improving the status of Filipina women worldwide.
FWN Priority Issues:
- Influence Filipina popular culture.
- Eliminate all forms of discrimination against Filipina women and girls.
- Appoint and elect Filipina women to positions of leadership.
- Economic independence in housing, wages and pay equity for equal work.
- Access to public services in education, immigration, health care, child care, senior services, and transportation.
- Reproductive freedom.
- Eliminate violence against Filipina women and girls.
Benefits of an Internship with the Filipina Women's Network
We are a growing network of professional Filipina women, so we have opportunities for an intern to get real hands-on experience with our programs and activities that enhance the public perceptions of Filipina women’s capacities to lead and to build the Filipina community’s pipeline of qualified leaders. Though some administrative tasks will be required, we can offer more than just filing and data entry. Interns will get a sense of what it means to be a part of growing professional Filipina women’s group.
An internship with the Filipina Women's Network will provide you with valuable leadership and community experience, and the opportunity to network and make contacts for future jobs and other opportunities. Though we are unable to offer a stipend to interns, we are happy to comply with any requirements that allow students to receive academic credit. FWN can also provide letters of recommendation.
Programs and Activities
If you are passionate about leadership advancement of Filipina women, FWN is the place to be. FWN's mission to place a Filipina Woman in every sector of the global economy. FWN is on the cutting edge of Filipina women's advancement. Our Programs include the annual Filipina Leadership Global Summit, the Filipina Women Leadership Book Series, the 100 Most Influential Filipina Women Awards, Rebuild Tacloban, V-Day FWN Against Violence, and FemtorMatch™. Our 5 Priority Program Areas are:
- Social Justice
- Coalition Building
- Leadership Development
- Cultural Awareness
Interns will be assigned a primary program area, with the majority of projects and tasks that will contribute to the program's success. Interns will also have the opportunity to learn about and assist with projects in other projects as needed.
Examples of Possible Activities and Tasks
Whatever program area assigned, an intern will likely carry out many of the following tasks:
- Prepare, organize, attend, and/or facilitate meetings with other FWN staff, community partners, and/or members of the public.
- Write press releases, and do public outreach about FWN
- Data tracking, analysis, and evaluation
- Work directly with board members on special projects
- Office and event production and administration, budget and performance measure preparation, etc.
- Website and social media management
- Support publication of the FWN Magazine, V-Diaries: Anti-Violence Resource Guide, Filipina Leadership Book Series
- Video-taping of events and FWN100™ Awardees
- Production management of The Vagina Monologues and the annual Filipina Summit
- Cover parallel events that address FWN's core priority issues
This is only a partial list. FWN is interested in giving interns a chance to learn new skills, as well as to utilize skills interns already possess. We are willing to work with interns to develop work plans that meet the needs of both FWN and the intern.
Who Should Apply?
Though any interested student is welcome to apply, an internship with FWN may be most relevant to students in the following educational tracks:
- Social Work
- Public Policy
- Public Administration
- Women's Studies
- Public Health
- Organization Psychology
- Research and Statistics
- Meeting Planning and Association Management
- Public Relations and Communications
- Current college students, college graduates, graduate students, or those with an masterial and doctoral degrees in relevant area are preferred
- Ability to commit 20 hours/week
- Ability to commit to 12 months is preferred
- Familiarity with women, girls, civil and human rights issues preferred
- Excellent research and writing skills required
- Self-starter and attention to detail
- Ability to prepare clear, accurate and well-organized narrative and statistical reports and other documents
- Ability to effectively prioritize and organize multiple assignments and projects
- Demonstrated experience in social media applications, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, database and website maintenance, newsletter publication, and event management
Internship / Volunteer Program Details
Internships are unpaid. FWN is able to accommodate 2 interns during the school year (September - May), and 3 summer interns, either undergraduate or graduate-level (June - August). Interns should expect to commit 20-30 hours per week, depending on scheduling and academic requirements. FWN will provide an in-office workspace, though it may be shared with other interns. Our standard office hours are 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday-Friday; some weekends may apply. Specific start and end dates, as well as work schedules, will be determined with the selected intern.
Volunteer opportunities may be designed according to applicant's interests that coincide with FWN's programs.
Send current resume listing 2 references who can speak to applicant's experience and professional potential and 2 writing samples to email@example.com indicating on subject line: I wanna be an FWN INTERN.