Dear Kababayan and Filipino Community Supporter,
We need YOU to help shape the political future of the Filipino American Community in San Francisco. This is not just a San Francisco issue—actions we take in the next few weeks will affect the entire Filipino American community’s VOICE for generations to come.
***This information will change after April 15, 2012 when the SF Redistricting Task Force submits its re-drawn map of San Francisco to the Board of Supervisors. ***
Special CALL to residents of San Francisco Districts 6 & 11. Please attend the meeting on December 29 (please read on....)
- Did you know that according to the 2010 U. S. Census, there are 36,347 Filipinos in San Francisco or 4.51% of the City’s total population of 805,235? Click here to view San Francisco map showing Filipino residents in the City
- Did you know that the largest concentration of Filipino American registered voters in San Francisco live in Districts 6 and 11?
- Did you know that according to the last census, District 6 is overpopulated and must give up 21,585 people, and District 11 is also overpopulated and must give up 6,382 people?
- District 6 includes Tenderloin, South of Market, North Mission, Civic Center, South Beach, Mission Bay, Treasure Island, Yerba Buena Island and Downtown neighborhoods.
- Did you know that plans are currently underway to make part of the SOMA (South of Market in District 6) officially declared as a “Filipino Neighborhood” (Filipino Social-Heritage Special Use District)?
- Did you know that District 11 has approximately 10,361 Filipino residents or 13.03% of theDistricts 6 & 11 in San Francisco total district population of 79,535?
- District 11 is the Southern most district in San Francisco, directly bordering Daly City and includes the neighborhoods of Cayuga Terrace, Crocker Amazon, Excelsior, New Mission Terrace, Outer Mission and Ocean View / Merced Heights / Ingleside (OMI).
- 28% of San Francisco’s Filipinos reside in District 11.
- Did you know that District 11 is the only district in which Filipinos have a voting bloc to influence who will become the district’s next supervisor?
- IMAGINE this: if all of the 10,366 Filipinos in District 11 vote in the next district elections in November 2012, we could elect the first supervisor of Filipino heritage.
Here’s where we need your help: There has been a dozen community outreach meetings held by the San Francisco Redistricting Task Force, BUT there has been very little input from the Filipino Community—only ONE Filipino resident showed up to advocate for the Filipino American Community!
We have a short window of time to get organized and present OUR feedback and map proposals. The next round of SF Redistricting Meetings that will receive mapping recommendations for District 11 is on Monday, January 9, 2012, 6pm. The District 6 meeting is on Saturday, January 21 at 10am. MARK your calendars and please plan to attend.
At the Dec. 29 planning meeting, we will prepare OUR recommendations as a community, since other organizations will be lobbying for their own best interests. Click here to view the San Francisco Redistricting legal criteria to formulate our map recommendations.
The SF Redistricting Task Force will approve Redrawn Maps no later than April 15, 2012 and will be enforced for the next TEN YEARS! Our political future is at stake. Let’s come together and create our future.
Please ATTEND the FILIPINO COMMUNITY STRATEGY MEETING to help develop a solid recommendation for submission to the Redistricting Task Force so that the Filipino American Community will NOT get SPLIT UP and the Filipino American Voice SILENCED.
** Marily Mondejar, who was appointed by Mayor Ed Lee to the SF Redistricting Task Force, will be at the meeting to provide an overview of the redistricting process and WHY the Fil-Am community is an important COMMUNITY OF INTEREST.
Filipino American Community Forum regarding redistricting of San Francisco Districts 6 and 11
Thursday, Dec 29 6:00 pm–8:00 pm
Philippine Center Building (5th Floor Social Hall), 447 Sutter (between Powell & Stockton Sts.), San Francisco
PLEASE RVSP so that we can make sure we can plan accordingly: http://FilAmCommunityForum3.eventbrite.com
YOUR ACTION ITEMS:
- Please forward this invite to your Filipino friends and colleagues. Invite our young friends—they need to know about their future and how the redistricting process will affect their lives.
- If you know anyone with experience in GIS mapping, census analysis, voter statistics, and Filipino American demographics, please invite them to join us!
- If you are not a resident of San Francisco, we invite you to attend the hearings, provide testimony, and send letters in support of our Filipino sisters and brothers so we can leverage our FilAm voice in San Francisco and hopefully elect the first District Supervisor of Filipino heritage in the next elections.
- Attend the next FilAm planning meeting on Jan 5 at the Bindlestiff Studios.
- Attend the SF Redistricting Jan 9 Hearing for District 11.
- Attend the SF Redistricting Jan 21 Hearing for District 6.
For additional information about the San Francisco Redistricting Task Force and criteria on how to submit mapping recommendations, visit: www.sfgov.org/RDTF
Thank you in advance for your support. We look forward to seeing you on Dec. 29!